Have your tea and eat it too! Have a go at making this delicious Mazawattee Earl Grey Tea layer cake with mascarpone frosting.
For the cake
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- 300g sugar
- 200g all-purpose flour
- 16g baking powder
- Zest of 1 orange
- 4 tea bags Mazawattee Earl Grey Tea
For the frosting
- 500g mascarpone cheese
- 500ml fresh cream
- 200g powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp nutmeg powder
- 50ml Mazawattee Earl Grey tea with milk only
- Add the tea bags to 200ml of water. Bring to a boil and allow to brew for 3 minutes. Remove the tea bags and leave to the side.
- In a large bowl, mix together the egg yolks and sugar. With a hand mixer, beat the mixture on a medium-high speed until light yellow and foamy.
- Add 10tbsp of warm tea to the egg yolk mixture, one spoon at the time and mixing constantly. (The tea should be warm, not hot).
- Add the orange zest (washed and dried).
- In a small bowl, sift the flour and baking powder. Add to the egg yolk mixture.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until you get snow-white peaks. Set the hand mixer aside and with a baking spatula, gently mix in the egg whites with the rest of the cake mixture.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C. Grease and flour a round baking pan (20cm). Pour in half of the mixture and bake for 20-25 minutes. It is important not to open the oven while the cake is baking to prevent the cake from collapsing.
- Once baked, repeat the baking process. If you have more than one baking pan with the same measure, you can bake two at once.
- In the meantime, beat the fresh cream on a medium-high speed until firm. Add the mascarpone cheese, nutmeg powder and powdered sugar. Mix again.
- Leave your cakes aside until they have completely cooled down. Once cooled, cut the cakes in half, horizontally, in order to have four cake layers in total.
- Mix the remaining tea with the milk. Start assembling the cake by placing the first cake layer on your serving plate. Cover with 2-3 tbsp of the milk tea mixture. Cover with mascarpone frosting. Repeat until you use all four layers.
- Cover your cake with the remaining frosting and decorate.